Monday, November 28, 2011

I've been to Skyrim

If you're wondering where I've been, I've been to Skyrim. It's a fictional land in a single-player computer roleplaying game.  Very enjoyable. So enjoyable, in fact, that I've decided I need to get a Windows PC that I'll design and build specifically to play the game. And to operate as a media centre for my TV. Which means I'll be using the 46" LCD TV as my monitor... At least the PC will be less than AU$1,000.

I've been playing Skyrim on a virtual desktop running Windows 7 on my 27" iMac with 8Gb of RAM (4Mb dedicated to the virtual desktop). It runs fast enough and smooth enough (it's the same virtual desktop I play Eve with - would you believe the Windows client runs faster and more trouble-free in a virtual desktop on a Mac than the Mac client does natively? Crazy but true!), but I want the pretty graphics that a dedicated PC will allow. And I need a good, dedicated media centre to play downloaded movies, etc. So the decision was easy.

However, I've decided that until the PC is built, I'll stop playing Skyrim and return to my travels around New Eden, and then try to balance Eve and Skyrim so that neither suffers.

I expect that it might take a while before I actually get tired of Skyrim. The game is so large, with so many different possibilities within it, that you can play on and on, or repeatedly, and still experience new and exciting things. The graphics are amazing, even down low-ish on a virtual desktop. So amazing, that I think I might even blog as my Skyrim character and post 'photos' (screenshots) of my adventures around Skyrim.

But anyway, my Eve travels will continue, don't worry about that.   :)



Please DONATE to help me travel around New Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment